Subleasing is Not Allowed at your Rental Property!
We understand that some residents may want to add a roommate to help with housing expenses. Please remember that you must request prior written approval to add an occupant on your lease agreement. Occupants will need to apply with our office and be approved by the property owner in advance of their move in.
This is important for many reasons, and is also enforced for your protection. There are many applicable laws and many times residents are not aware of those laws. You can actually face criminal charges for removing a roommates personal items or trying to force a roommate to move from your property. This happened recently in town and now a Pensacola area resident is facing criminal charges.
Want to rent a room out?
Most leases have a clause that prevent subletting. If you lease from another company or landlord, check your lease agreement to see if this is allowed.
You cannot advertise a room for rent on AirBnB and attract short term residents at your property. This is against the lease agreement and does present some safety hazards for your family. Please be careful and cautious. Reach out to our office with questions on adding, removing, or replacing roommates.
What if I own my own home?
Even if you own your home, you should also exercise caution and consider possible consequences of subleasing, whether short or long term, before proceeding. A new younger generation of homeowners are offering rooms for rent in their home on internet sites like Home Away, AirBnB, Craigslist, and VRBO. Before doing this, you should carefully consider the following:
- Check with your insurance company to see if short term subleasing is allowed and covered under your policy.
- Document your personal property and furniture before you allow guests with photos and written reports. You should thoroughly inspect between each guest.
- You need a good lease or occupancy agreement.
- Use a platform that helps to screen or vet potential renters, even if they only plan to stay one night.
We recommend you thoroughly research this before deciding to lease out any portion of your space.
The Realty Masters of FL Team
#1 in Pensacola Property Management and Leasing!
Rental Office 4400 Bayou Blvd. #58B, Pensacola, FL 32503 (850) 473-3983 www.PensacolaRealtyMasters.com
Sales Office 4400 Bayou Blvd. #52B, Pensacola, FL 32503 (850) 453-9220 www.RealtyMastersofFlorida.com
If you are house hunting this spring or summer in the Pensacola area, you will find that the active rental inventory is tight! We're seeing record lows in the single family rental market in the Pensacola area.
Here's the current situation with the Pensacola area housing market.
There are simply not enough properties for rent at this time to meet the current demand of renters looking to move. To help you ease the stress and frustration of house hunting this season, we've put together a video with helpful house hunting tips.
Here are some of the highlights from the video:
- Do your research. It's up to you to do the research on the neighborhoods and areas. Do a neighborhood search (Escambia County Crime Map: http://www.escambiaso.com/crime-map/ )
- Be prepared! Review the requirements for renting and have all of your documents necessary ready to apply. Have a double security deposit ready if you do not meet the rental criteria.
- Consider purchasing a home.
- Check into the multi-family apartment complex community for availability.
- Have vet records, photos, and extra pet deposits for your pets.
- Don't just apply to apply! This lowers your credit score and is costly. Be intentional and serious before you apply.
- If you are relocating, do not expect to be able to pull a U-haul into town and move in a property the same weekend. If you have someone who can view properties on your behalf, have them coordinate viewings and sign a lease.
- Be available for showings! You may have to take some time off work in order to be successful in house hunting this season.
- Have a back up plan in case you don't find a property!
- Adjust your expectations for the criteria you need, not the criteria you want. It is not the time to find a dream house!
- Housing affordability is an issue and will continue to be as the economy and real estate market improves. Rents will continue to increase. Plan for this!
- Be happy where you are. Do not be upset by a small rental increase or an unresolved maintenance item that is not important.
- Show up at real estate offices! The call and email volume is overwhelming for us now. Make time to pop by the office and talk with someone in person for best results.
- Act fast when you find a nice property. Be ready to pay a deposit and sign a lease when you apply.
Reach out to our office and let us know how we can be of assistance whether you are looking to buy or rent a home in 2018.
Realty Masters of Florida Rental Office (850) 473-3983 http://www.PensacolaRealtyMasters.com
Realty Masters of Florida Sales and Relocation (850) 453-9220 http://www.RealtyMastersofFlorida.com
- Wear & Tear Versus Damage
- Pest Control
- Moving Resources
- Blue Angels
- Rents in Downtown Pensacola
- Rent Assistance
- Listing your Home for Sale and/or Rent
- New Year's Resolutions
- Hurricane Michael
- Smoke Detectors
- Key Safety
- Holiday Events
- Septic Tanks
- Gulf Power Outage Map
- Moving Tips
- Burning Outdoors
- Lawn care
- Fall Events
- School Grades
- Bulk Item Pick Up
- Housing Scams
- Steps for First Time Home Buyers
- 20 Year Anniversary
- Real Estate Investments
- House Hunting Tips
- Real Estate Market
- Seminars and Personal Assistant
- Rent or Sell
- Pensacola area Zip Codes
- Build Credit
- New Construction in Pensacola
- Energy Tips
- How to Find HOA Rules
- Preparing for Freeze
- Holiday Safety Guide
- Maintenance Do's and Dont's
- Home Warranties
- Credit Score
- Unapproved Dog List
- Maintenance Tips
- Pensacola Rental Inventory
- Home Buying
- Pensacola Rental Homes
- Beulah Middle School Construction
- Safety Tips
- Things to Do
- Realty Masters Team
- Item Donations
- Pensacola Rental homes
- Bed Bugs
- Moving out
- Community Involvement
- Managing Rental Properties
- rental market
- Normal Wear & Tear Versus Tenant Damage
- Pensacola Pest Control Tips
- Pensacola Moving Companies, Truck Rentals, and other Resources for your Pensacola Move
- U.S. Navy Blue Angels 2019 Schedule in Pensacola, Florida
- Increasing Rents in Downtown Pensacola
- Nicole St. Aubin
- Rebekah Perkins
- Michael Longsdon
- Julie Benson
- Jay Schwartz
- Chuntell Patterson
- Pam Brantley
- Carlin Symmes
- Realty Masters of FL
- David Keen